Sunday, March 18, 2007

art : Church of the Light


Of course, I don’t know much about architecture but I found the existence of this church at a book shop and it caught my attention. Well this is second church in a month. Maybe I should call this blog like Midnight Church…(*゚ー゚)


The architect is Tadao Ando, from Osaka. I didn’t know but it seems like he’s quite famous and won many important prizes. It’s known that Ando studied architecture himself, travelling around the world with the money he won playing boxing matches. The Church of the Light was built in 1989 is in Osaka. The use of concrete is Ando’s sign but what makes it special is that cross. There is not any cross but that cross of light. I don’t remember exactly the words, but he thinks that places where people go to pray have to be in touch with the nature (in this case the light works like that). I completely agree. I’ve read interesting things to tell about this church, the meanings of every single part of the place, but it’s a church, the most important thing is feeling the spirituality.

No comments: