Friday, March 16, 2007

sound : M.I.A.


I really think that Maya Arulpragasam a.k.a. M.I.A. (stands for Missing in Action) has been a real threat for the whole music world when she appeared. She supposed to be a begginer but then she created a school, M.I.A.’s Old School. And she’s hot. I bought her first major album Arular when I listened Bucky Done Gun and Sunshowers (her easiest song to listen). It was a shock. Σ(゚д゚;)

She’s a singer from U.K. There were weird and savage sounds before, such like Kelis, Timbaland or that kind of artists. And for the instance I thought M.I.A. was kind of Nelly Furtado (non frontier singer) but she was specially original and creative. Σ(゚д゚;)

Her background is from Sri Lanka. She’s often referred to as the daughter of Arul Pragasam, who was active in Tamil independence movement. He also received training from the PLO in Lebanon. She got involved in a controversy when she released the single called Sunshowers because its lyrics inluded “Like PLO, I don’t surrendo”. MTV refused to play her music video and US thought she was expressing support for the terrorists. Σ(゚д゚;)

It’s absolutely interesting to read her life. Maybe there’s something wrong as it is not her official biography, though. Read also her funny interview. Official site.

We can expect to listen her new album Power, Power this year (she collaborates with Timbaland!). The first single is Bird Flu Σ(゚д゚;):

No comments: