Monday, March 05, 2007

travel : the Church of St Michael at Cefnllys

This small Church of St Michael is so charming. I don’t know how I didn’t go back again there while I was living in Wales.


You all know that I lived in Wales for a while, and we “Spanish” boys (and whoever joined us) enjoyed walkings through beautiful hills and rivers. Someone had heard that there was a small church near Shaky Bridge, two miles away from Llandrindod Wells, so we tried to get there. We were desperate to see something near that small town. Desperate to find something else to see. And it was worthy indeed.


I’m ashamed that I didn’t know what Cefnllys was until today. OK, I still don’t know its pronunciation. Cefnllys was a town in Powys, county of Wales. And this church is there, in a remote corner of green landscape. Several peaceful graves with graceful tablets welcomed us as we entered to the place. The inside was very cozy. I only knew Catholic churches with those long chairs where ten people can sit together. But this church had some individual (and possibly artisanal) chairs. The church of St Michael is basically a medieval structure, some elements are believed to date to the 13th Century, followed by substantial post-medieval restoration (drastic rebuilding at the end of the 19th Century). -link for more information about this church-


There was also a notebook for visitors and you can get a gift of pretty painted stone. People from Llandrindod Wells/Powys were really kind.




Next to the chuch there were high hills and on the top we found some stones. I wondered what were those stones and rocks in the middle of the grass. Well, we walked above them, we sat there, we threw few stones… to find out, a year later, that those stones are likely rests of Cefnllys Castle. Please tell me that you (people who are or were in Llandrindod) neither knew it.


Anyway, all I want to say is that Wales is relaxing and has little trasures like this church.

No comments: