Wednesday, November 22, 2006

disappearing : 03-the Inuit

Our grandchildren may never see the Inuits, though neither may I, but on TV. They are at least very interesting to me, more than any groups. How come they are living among ices? That was simple question of my infancy. They were very exotic, and their physical aspect very charming to my mind.


Inuit means "the people" in their language Inuktitut. They are people inhabiting mainly Russia, Alaska, Canada and Greenland. And what the most I admire is their larger notion of community, sharing everything between different families.

The race is something hard to extinguish, though the lifestyles are not. All the things I can imagine about them are: nomad life, hunters and fishermen, husky dog sleds, animal skin clothes, that warm parka, that lovely hood, the snow house igloo... it seems like all those things are going to vanish, reminding some elements as pop culture (not popular culture).

The problem is that the sea ice melts. If I were an Inuit, probably I would bomb Western civilizations, if I could. Just kidding, but of course I would get angry with I don't know what. It's not their fault at all, but can they blame us?

However, it isn't only ice-melting, the European arrival damaged to the Inuit lifestyle in Canada for example. A lot of people dead because of new diseases introduced by whalers and explorers. They were imposed to respect European (alien) criminal law. The land was stolen to develop war strategies.

It's true that Canada government established administrative centers to provide education, health and economic development services for Inuit. They also were helped for the settlemtents. And maybe Inuit chose that change after all. Then what are we talking about?

About losing identities. Is it beautiful? Definitely it isn't to me.

But sometimes I think I am not the one to say that. I am Japanese Spanish. Am I allowed to defend Japanese identity or the Spanish? The purity? I would love to think so. In the end of the day, it's our conscience. Particular conscience.

Kayak is also a word from Inuktitut. I didn't know.

No comments: