Wednesday, August 16, 2006

travel : Iceland〜pt.1

As the Spanish football team played against Icelandic team yesterday, I'm gonna talk about Iceland. The football match finished at 22.00 and the sunset hadn't come yet, and the daylight was still very strong! I really would like to see the sun around the earth 24 hours in the Arctic... yeah I know that isn't Iceland. And Okay, the match was unworthy one, 0-0.

Visiting Iceland is one of my dreams, yes, I've got to go. I'd like to travel (and live! why not?!) there so much that I created a web page of that country (it's in Spanish). Actually it was a homework of a subject in the university, but I think I did it amazingly good! Nobody has ever sent me a message, but that's OK, because I had good qualification with that... Anyway, I don't know why but I always found that country very attractive, and you know, when I say "I want to go to Iceland" people tell me "you listen too much Björk" but she is not the main attraction, furthermore, it's obvious that I can't meet her in Iceland!! So what's the point to go to Iceland only for her? I love the Icelandic music scene, not only Björk but also Sigur Rós and Múm, their music are very warm and I love their way to use electronic elements. But that is not the only reason.

So what is the main reason? That's its landscapes and hot springs! Iceland is an island nation and the country has big volcanic activities, as my home Japan,. And Iceland is just south of Arctic Circle, so almost 10% of the land is covered by ice. These elements and others make stunningly beautiful landscapes, like fjords in the coastline, volcanoes, lakes, rivers, glaciers, and all that jazz. Oh, don't forget hot springs.

The history of Iceland started in 9th and 10th century, the island was uninhabited by humans before, and now it occupies the second place on the Human Development Index. Its territory is about 100,000 km² and population about 300,000. Good place to live for sure, if you don't mind how cold is there, don't you think?

to be continued

No comments: