Monday, September 04, 2006

sound : Amadou et Mariam

Currently I am obsessed with African music. I like the primitive sound and every time I go to the library, I rent few related CDs, because in the library renting is free(´∀`)!!

But the most of CDs are actually boring because it's too tribal, whole CD is like hearing some screaming voices and some rhythm possibly made by two sticks and a piece of metal. And the primitive sound that I want is catchy tunes with cheerful chorus. And I don't mean gospel. So in this case you necessarily find Youssou N'Dour and he's fine but not what I'm waiting for.

Well, this obsession started because I need to find something I heard once: I can't forget an African song played in a IMAX film called "Rhythm". So if someone knows about it, please tell me!!!

Today I'm gonna introduce you (if you don't know them) to Amadou and Mariam. The couple is form Mali, isn't that traditional but the base must be Mali sound. Once they were featured on TV and last month I found the CD in the library.

They are married and both blind, starting the career more than 25 years ago. So they are experienced and I don't think they looked for the fortune and fame (or that's what I would like to imagine), they managed in Africa creating music and selling cassettes before they were found by French.



That's my favorite song of them, Politic amagni, though the video isn't theirs, someone in Youtube has done it, it's pretty nice to see some good pictures.

I would swear that I heard them before because some songs are... not popular but maybe they put a lot on the radio or used for some advertisement. Well they have worked with Manu Chao and since then they are more popular.

No comments: